- Title: Dark Knight in Disguise
- Author: Sandra Ross
- Genre: Erotica (eventually)
- Why: Review request
- Rating: 1 Star
Description: Erick Angell was an angel who had protested too many about the human race and been thrown in the world as a human. And he’s just one among men who’d been cursed with the living flesh and still could not be able to shake their nature as angels, defender of the light in a world full of blight.
Erick Angell wore a mask. A rich man, he sounded full of himself when Hollianne Talbot first talked to him on the phone. But she was instantly mesmerized when she finally met him and saw how beautiful he was. He seemed like an angel. What was more, he provided her with the chance to start a new life at a time when nothing was going on for her. He literally saved her. Like a guardian angel.
Erick wanted to be an angel to Holliane. Unfortunately, the feelings she was invoking on him weren’t entirely angel-like. For the first time in his life as a man, he felt stirrings of sexual awareness. What was more, he was feeling emotions. He was protective of her, he wanted to take care of her… and it wasn’t like anything he felt with the people he encountered in his other life as a dark knight.
Which was another story.
Review: This isn’t a novel. It’s not even a novella or a short story, it’s an extended prologue at best.
Erick Angell is an angel cast down to earth for complaining to God about humans too much. Hollianne Talbot is an on-demand writer who has just lost her partner to an accident. Erick hires her as a live-in writer to write his autobiography, but going by the steamy cover art this is just a thinly veiled excuse to get jiggy with her. I’m guessing at that, because nothing actually happens – the above covers pretty much everything that happens in this volume.
Now, I’ve already established that this ‘book’ is short, but to illustrate just how short it is I’ll say that I finished it in about fifteen minutes. At this point my Kindle said I was 62% through, and a quick flick through the further pages revealed that the remaining 38% was promotional material for the author’s other books. Not this series, mind you, but another one.
Some further research on Amazon reveals three further parts to this series, and each of those subsequent parts is priced at around £2/$3. Amazon also gives an estimated page count for each of these parts, and they all come in at about 50 pages or so. To me this says that this whole thing is one novel (and not a very long one at that) released in four parts. The first part is free at the time of writing this, but I’m not sure that Amazon allows books to be free permanently, so the total price if you want the whole thing is at least £6/$9. To me, this would only be acceptable if it was made clear to the reader that this is the case, but I can’t really find anything in the description that does so. The only clue is in the fact that all four parts have exactly the same cover art.
Unfortunately there is more, because the writing itself needs work. There are no spelling mistakes, but the tense is all over the place. I think the author’s intention was for this book to be written in the past tense, but she constantly drifts into present tense, often using both tenses within the same sentence. Almost every sentence is a paragraph all by itself, and even the longer paragraphs don’t have more than three sentences at most. Chapter breaks seem to have been determined arbitrarily, often happening in the middle of an action.
This book could have potential, if the author hired an editor and combined all separate parts into one. As it stands I cannot give it more than one star.
ETA: And what’s with his bloody name? Why does it have to be Erick rather than Eric or Erik? Having both the C and the K is just greedy. And Angell? Really? ‘Hmm, I’m an angel, but I must disguise this fact. I know, if I stick an extra L at the end, no one will know!’
Originally published on Silk Screen Views: http://silkscreenviews.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/dark-knight-in-disguise-i-sandra-ross/